Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dorky Discussion #1: David Archuleta's Debut Album



For all you Archies & Arch-Angels out there, what do you think of David's debut album?

B+  Personally, I love the guy.  I think he has one of the greatest voices of anyone to grace the stages of Idol, or any stage for that matter.  However, I think this first album didn't quite showcase him the way I was hoping.  Some of the tunes are catchy, but overall I just felt a little disappointed with how over 'poppy' and over-produced many of the tracks were.  I think David shines when it's just him (and perhaps a piano) singing power ballads, like Josh Grobin's WYSYLM or Imagine.  I was hoping for more tracks like this on the debut album.  Oh well, the producers are targeting a younger tweenier crowd.  Overall, not bad, but I'll be waiting for his Holiday or 'Monster Ballads' album.  Comments?


2 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry to hear this, because I know what a fan you are, and I clearly remember dialing your cellphone purposefully whenever he was up on stage. lol. Clearly, someone is giving bad direction. Hope he gets another chance. Otherwise, there's always Broadway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matty,

    Couldnt agree more! Absolutely stunning voice and i fear that it will be wasted on bubble gum pop songs about "crush"es. Get back to me! What made him such a fan fave on Idol were songs like "Imagine." Rarely do we hear such a talented ballad singer, never mind at such a young age. A million bucks says his crazy dad is calling the shots and just trying to cash in. Stay true to yourself Archie!!

    ReplyDelete